Saturday, May 9, 2009

Chrisette Michele is Back!





Ok so, Chrisette Michele has dropped her sophomore album "Epiphany" this past Tuesday. Finally!!! I have waited ever so patiently for this album. I don't think you guys understand. So for those of you who fell in love with her soulful singing style on the first album "I Am"(like I did), this album is a quite satisfying second scoop of musical delight.


Collaborating with Neyoooooo!? Yes great choice indeed. Neyo and the renown Chuck Harmony (who has worked on projects with Mary J. Blige, Janet Jackson and Celine Dion by the way) worked to put this pleasing puzzle of soul, pop, catchy melodies and fresh lyrics together. And you know you cant have Neyo co-produce an album without him hopping on it. Hence the track "What You Do" with a smooth piano/ synth beat, and all the fixins' of a Neyo creation.



You can hear the change of maturity from the Chrisette on "I Am" to "Epiphany's" Miss Chris. This new album screams "I am woman, now you can either roar with me or step aside". Which nowadays, as a woman in today's society, is how we need to be. The perfectly timed album release allows for this to be a nice summer jam for the ladies.




My favorite song on the album is "Blame it all on me". So many women get in to bad situations and aren't able to just say "you know what!? Blame it all on me, I don't care what you say just go!" A very different attitude from "I Am" where she was broken hearted but still holding on in hopes of rekindling. (A great album nonetheless) I can actually say proudly that I can listen to Epiphany straight through, which is rare for me with today's music.




Case and point: Ciara's album "Fantasy Ride" also dropped May 5. Not so much a straight listen with this one. There are a few decent songs like "Love and Sex and Magic" and "Never Ever". But they were both featuring heavy hitters Justin Timberlake and Young Jeezy. I would have to say that my favorite song on the album is "Like A surgeon". It has a real "promising" (no pun intended...ok yea it was) feel to it. Its very clever in terms of analogy and it kind of makes you want to play doctor, a little.
Not bad, I just think it could have been a little better. Ciara! Super Ci! wherever you are! I know you can do better! I have faith in you! Nonetheless, much respect to both ladies for producing albums in such an Internet happy society. Real musicians are the last of a dying breed. Its sad I know. Keep working hard ladies!
Love Ya! (*v*)

No comments:

Post a Comment